You may think skipping your 6-month dental exam and cleaning isn’t a big deal, but your teeth, gums and jawbone can all suffer when you skip your appointment. It’s important to brush your teeth and floss every day, but this only removes the thin top layer of film that builds up on the surface of your teeth. Our Fort Worth dentist removes the plaque from all of the hard to reach areas of your mouth. Dr. Audu also searches for signs of gum disease and oral cancer during your exam.
There are several aspects of your oral health that pay the price when you go without bi-annual cleanings including:
- Plaque begins to harden and becomes tartar.
- Small cavities have time to expand and may turn into an infection, leading to abscesses, pus and tooth loss.
- Gingivitis (the first stage of gum disease) can advance to Stage 2 gum disease, periodontitis, which is a severe gum infection that causes pockets to appear where gum tissue meets your tooth and jawbone. This can eventually lead to bone recession and tooth loss.
- Halitosis, or bad breath, is caused by a number of factors including poor oral hygiene and can arise or worsen when you miss a dental cleaning.
- Bacteria could also collect on your tongue and create a white coating.
- Tooth stains will begin to appear on the surface of your teeth. Your teeth will darken or yellow due to your eating and drinking habits or poor dental care.
- Your overall health becomes a concern when gum disease is left unchecked and bacteria seeps into your bloodstream. Heart disease, diabetes and stroke have been linked to oral health.
Bi-annual dental exams and cleanings are more important than you realize, and you may find yourself in a dental emergency if you continue skipping 6-month exams.
Protect your dental and overall health, and schedule a dental exam at our downtown Fort Worth office today by calling 817-870-5099. Museum Smiles serves patients in Fort Worth, Keller, Arlington and surrounding Texas areas.